The CBL recently hosted an open meeting where we invited fellow business owners and makers to join us for an evening of wine, snacks and lots of resource sharing. It's always great to get perspective from other makers on what they've tried, loved and hated. Funnily enough, a few people kept claiming they had nothing to share, but I knew that everyone has a few apps, books, or whatever they absolutely can't do business without. I'd never heard of at least 75% of the resources people shared. It's so powerful, and necessary, to connect with other small business owners. I've collected some here that are universally helpful for all small business people.
What are your favorite small business resources?
- Whitagram - add white or color frames to assorted photo sizes
- A Color Story - photo editing app with filters that enhance colors within photos you've taken
- Pic Tap Go - intuitive photo-editing app that can post images to social media
- Snapseed - mobile photo-editing app with similar features to photoshop.
Operations + Accounting:
- Grasshopper - virtual phone system for entrepreneurs
- Wholesale Matchmaker - wholesale dating service (very limited slots available)
- BenchWorks - inventory/production management for makers and artists
- Ship Station - shipping management
Organization + Planning:
- Evernote - organize everything
- If This Then That - pretty much helps you automate almost anything
- Freed Camp - free project management system
- Follow Up Then - creates super simple email reminders
- Planoly - visually organize and plan posts for Instagram
- Etsy on Sale - helps schedule and plan item renewals
- Instapaper - saves articles in one place for you to peruse at your leisure
- Mapstr - map app that tracks cool stuff and creates sharable maps
- OneTab - saves tabs into list format
Non-App ie Old School Resources:
- The Library - a great resource for books (obvy), research and a quiet space to work. Some libraries even have e-books you can check out onto your Kindle. Yipee!
- Deep Work, by Cal Newport - suggestions to get to the 'real work' part of business
- Clear Solutions - simple, aesthetically pleasing display pieces
- The Printful - on-demand printing and shipping of your designs on t-shirts, posters, etc.